DeGale picks McDonnell as mentor
OLYMPIC gold medal hero James DeGale insists he will be fighting fit for his professional debut - with his confidence high in new trainer Jim McDonnell. The link is an interesting pairing of Britain s hottest new pro and the trainer who once earned title
OLYMPIC gold medal hero James DeGale insists he will be fighting fit for his professional debut - with his confidence high in new trainer Jim McDonnell.
The link is an interesting pairing of Britain's hottest new pro and the trainer who once earned title honours in his own career as a member of the Terry Lawless successful squad, based at the famous Royal Oak Gym in Canning Town.
The Olympic gold medallist will have his first paid fight under promoter Frank Warren on February 28, at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham.
He has been training hard at tough taskmaster McDonnell's Loughton gymnasium, ensuring that he is in the best shape possible for his big night.
You may also want to watch:
Following his Beijing triumph, the west London fighter took his time selecting the right coach to prepare him for his pro career - and both fighter and trainer are confident that it will be a winning combination.
"I don't think I've ever worked as much as I have done in the last few weeks, and Jim is leaving no stone unturned to get me in the best possible shape," said DeGale.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
"Things have been going fantastic in the gym - and I could have my first pro fight tomorrow, I feel so good."
McDonnell praised the Beijing hero: "He is so, so determined. I believe James will eventually become a world champion.
"It will take time. It might not be a smooth ride. There will be hurdles along the way. But, take it from me, this kid is something very special."
The fighter has even found time to pass on some of McDonnell's secrets after signing up for The Feelgood Factor on ITV1, a new initiative to encourage the nation to get fit and lose weight.
DeGale will take training sessions with one of the groups, and is delighted to be involved.
"But although I'll push my group hard, I won't be as tough with them as Jim McDonnell is with me - it just wouldn't be fair, would it?" smiled golden boy DeGale.