Delivering a classic tale of good days
WE go back around 60 years, though our contributor is not exactly sure of the year of his contribution, for this week s Days of the Old School Yard. It s a super shot from between 1939 and 1945and comes from Harry Lacey, a former milkman in Stratford, who
WE go back around 60 years, though our contributor is not exactly sure of the year of his contribution, for this week's Days of the Old School Yard.
It's a super shot from between 1939 and 1945and comes from Harry Lacey, a former milkman in Stratford, who now lives in Rochford in Essex.
It shows pupils at Upton Cross School in Upton Park.
Harry told us: "Here's a picture of War Time School Days 1939-1945, I have listed some names, can people tell me who the rest are?"
You may also want to watch:
Harry's names are: Back Row No. 1 P. Sharp; No. 2 Frank (Chunga) Lacey.
Second Row No. 2 R Groombridge; No. 4 G Wiggins; No. 9 D Winters.
- 1 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 2 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 7 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 8 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 9 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 10 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
Third Row No. 7 Albert (Danny) Betts; No. 9 Tommy Baily.
Fourth Row No. 1 Fred Wallis; No. 3 Sidney Patten; No. 5 Alan Scott; No. 6 Billy Bolton.
He said "Our Head Mistress was Miss Worsely and the senior teacher (the very best) was Norman A Carpenter. Who are the rest?"
Harry, who used to live in Chadd Street Plaistow, and was well known to locals in Stratford as their favourite milkman, now happily in Rochford.