Delivering a classic tale of good days
WE go back around 60 years, though our contributor is not exactly sure of the year of his contribution, for this week s Days of the Old School Yard. It s a super shot from between 1939 and 1945and comes from Harry Lacey, a former milkman in Stratford, who
WE go back around 60 years, though our contributor is not exactly sure of the year of his contribution, for this week's Days of the Old School Yard.
It's a super shot from between 1939 and 1945and comes from Harry Lacey, a former milkman in Stratford, who now lives in Rochford in Essex.
It shows pupils at Upton Cross School in Upton Park.
Harry told us: "Here's a picture of War Time School Days 1939-1945, I have listed some names, can people tell me who the rest are?"
Harry's names are: Back Row No. 1 P. Sharp; No. 2 Frank (Chunga) Lacey.
Second Row No. 2 R Groombridge; No. 4 G Wiggins; No. 9 D Winters.
- 1 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 4 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 5 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 10 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
Third Row No. 7 Albert (Danny) Betts; No. 9 Tommy Baily.
Fourth Row No. 1 Fred Wallis; No. 3 Sidney Patten; No. 5 Alan Scott; No. 6 Billy Bolton.
He said "Our Head Mistress was Miss Worsely and the senior teacher (the very best) was Norman A Carpenter. Who are the rest?"
Harry, who used to live in Chadd Street Plaistow, and was well known to locals in Stratford as their favourite milkman, now happily in Rochford.