Disbelief at 'eyesore' to replace 'monstrosity'
FAMILIES in Barking are completely baffled by the council s plan to build a new tower block on the site of the old Lintons building. There was jubilation in the community when the Lintons, that dominated Barking s skyline, was finally demolished last year
FAMILIES in Barking are completely baffled by the council's plan to build a new tower block on the site of the old Lintons building.
There was jubilation in the community when the Lintons, that dominated Barking's skyline, was finally demolished last year.
But now it seems council officers plan to build something "even bigger and uglier" to replace it.
The new tower block will be 20 storeys high and contain 96 one and two bedroom flats - the old Lintons was only 16 storeys.
At a meeting of the Development Control Board last Wednesday (February 18) there was a rare moment of agreement between the council and the opposition.
Council leader Charles Fairbrass along with Cllr Val Rush, Cllr Fred Barns and Cllr Richard Barnbrook objected to the new building, the Legi House.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 9 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 10 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
"We just got rid of the Lintons monstrosity", said Cllr Barnbrook. "Why would we build something even bigger and uglier to replace it?"
It was felt that some cladding or colour was needed to breathe life into the grey, monotone exterior of the massive building.
However head of spatial regeneration, Jeremy Grint, said the design of the building was intentional and supposed to counter balance the brightly coloured flats in the town centre.
Council officers recommended the board approve the plans last week but the final decision on planning permission lies with the London Thames Gateway development corporation.
Opposition to the new tower block also came from City Hall; Boris Johnson said it is "bland, overly repetitive and lacks warmth".
The massive structure will sit in Linton Road on the newly named William Street Quarter.
As well as containing flats the tower block would have offices and a caf� on the lower levels.
It is part of phase one of the new development at the old Lintons site - phase two is expected to be announced later this year.
Six four bedroom terraced houses will also be built next to the tower block if the plan is approved.