Discarded cigarette leads to house fire in Dagenham
- Credit: sub
A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that saw part of a house badly damaged.
The still alight cigarette is thought to have rolled into a wicker basket before catching fire to the living room, leaving 15 per cent of the ground floor of the home wrecked by fire yesterday.
An elderly lady who was thought to be living in the home in Pinley Gardens, Dagenham, but was not there when the blaze broke out at around midday.
Watch Manager Jason Oliff said: “There was a lot of thick black smoke. We could see the flames through the front window — there was am orangey glow inside.
“The fire started in the living room and seems to have been caused by careless disposal of a cigarette. that was found in a wicker basket.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters were on the scene for close to three-and-a-half hours, taking 45 minutes to extinguish the flames.
Two fire engines from Barking and one fro Dagenham attended. No other properties were damaged.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods