Search

Discarded cigarette ‘sparks’ flat blaze in Barking

PUBLISHED: 10:14 17 September 2012 | UPDATED: 10:23 17 September 2012

Harold Hill fire crew was called out to the blaze

Harold Hill fire crew was called out to the blaze

sub

The fire brigade has issued a warning after a discarded cigarette is thought to have sparked a flat blaze today.

The fire was contained to the balcony of a ground-floor flat in Longbridge Road, Barking, where boxes were being stored.

No one was injured and the 1am blaze is under investigation.

Barking firefighter Stephen Benson said: “The most likely cause of the fire was the disposal of smoking material. There was a bit of smoke damage. It was mostly outdoors on the plastic door of the balcony. There is a lesson to be learnt there.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post