Docklands gift victory to Riga after tight five-set defeat
NATIONAL LEAGUE ONE Coventry & Warwick Riga 3 Docklands 2 Docklands threw away their chances of victory after they were involved in their second five-set match in two weeks. They had looked on course for success when leading 17-13 in the first set, as Way
NATIONAL LEAGUE ONE
Coventry & Warwick Riga 3 Docklands 2
Docklands threw away their chances of victory after they were involved in their second five-set match in two weeks.
They had looked on course for success when leading 17-13 in the first set, as Wayne Davis, Riccardo Senatore, Boris Halatachev and Martin Blake all impressed.
You may also want to watch:
However, Riga went on a marvellous run to lead 22-20 and eventually pip Docklands 25-23.
With Raf D�rr on for captain Alexis Blair, Docklands started the second set in a hurry and took a 4-0 lead.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
Solid blocking by Blake and Alex Chevau extended the advantage to 12-6, as they strolled to a 25-16 victory.
Everything looked good for Docklands in set three as they took an 18-13 lead and seemed destined to move 2-1 ahead.
But a combination of some valiant Riga play and a drop in concentration from Docklands let the home side back into the set, as they picked up a 25-22 win against the odds.
After winning their first five set league match for a year last week, Docklands had the confidence they could do it again.
They set about taking the fourth set with some passionate but controlled play.
Blocking pressure was applied from the start as D�rr and Halatchev took them 14-10 up.
Despite a late rally by Riga, Docklands held on to take the set 25-22 with a deft tip by Senatore.
In the lottery of a fifth set, Riga were gifted a 7-3 lead with some poor Docklands play.
The hosts then suffered a lapse in concentration as the score was locked at 9-9.
A Docklands serving error gave Riga a slender two-point advantage, which would prove decisive as they took the set 15-12, and ultimately, the match.
Docklands are at home to league leaders Sheffield this weekend.
Docklands: D�rr, Davies, Halatchev, Senatore, Chevau, Blake, Sliti, Blair, Cottignoli.