Don't just think lemon and sugar this Pancake Day
ONCE a year, pancakes enjoy a special slot in people s dinner diaries, but don t bury those frying pans just yet. If you re short on cooking time, pancakes can make a nutritious meal to be enjoyed at any time of the year. For heart-healthy batter on Shrov
ONCE a year, pancakes enjoy a special slot in people's dinner diaries, but don't bury those frying pans just yet. If you're short on cooking time, pancakes can make a nutritious meal to be enjoyed at any time of the year.
For heart-healthy batter on Shrove Tuesday (Feb 24) reduce the saturated fat content by using semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. Eggs provide protein, vitamins and minerals and are high in monounsaturated fats that help promote healthy cholesterol levels. By choosing wholemeal flour, or a mixture of half brown-half white, or oatmeal, you will increase the fibre content, which is great for the heart and for feeling full. Get those arm muscles working as you whisk up a frothy batter and cook with a teaspoon of rapeseed oil or spray oil.
Choose your fillings wisely.
Main course pancakes ideas
� cooked spinach with low-fat cream cheese;
� thin slices of ham, cherry tomatoes and cottage cheese;
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 3 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 4 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 5 TfL Consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into greater London
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
� curried vegetables;
� tinned salmon, lemon juice and pepper.
stewed apple and blueberries;
yoghurt, strawberries and oats;
grated pear and cinnamon;
finely chopped tropical fruit salad;
sliced banana and honey.
Pancakes can be easily made and enjoyed by young and old. Whiz up some batter and experiment with heart-healthy fillings for a satisfying and fun meal at any time of the year.