Don't just think lemon and sugar this Pancake Day
ONCE a year, pancakes enjoy a special slot in people s dinner diaries, but don t bury those frying pans just yet. If you re short on cooking time, pancakes can make a nutritious meal to be enjoyed at any time of the year. For heart-healthy batter on Shrov
ONCE a year, pancakes enjoy a special slot in people's dinner diaries, but don't bury those frying pans just yet. If you're short on cooking time, pancakes can make a nutritious meal to be enjoyed at any time of the year.
For heart-healthy batter on Shrove Tuesday (Feb 24) reduce the saturated fat content by using semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. Eggs provide protein, vitamins and minerals and are high in monounsaturated fats that help promote healthy cholesterol levels. By choosing wholemeal flour, or a mixture of half brown-half white, or oatmeal, you will increase the fibre content, which is great for the heart and for feeling full. Get those arm muscles working as you whisk up a frothy batter and cook with a teaspoon of rapeseed oil or spray oil.
Choose your fillings wisely.
Main course pancakes ideas
You may also want to watch:
� cooked spinach with low-fat cream cheese;
� thin slices of ham, cherry tomatoes and cottage cheese;
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
� curried vegetables;
� tinned salmon, lemon juice and pepper.
stewed apple and blueberries;
yoghurt, strawberries and oats;
grated pear and cinnamon;
finely chopped tropical fruit salad;
sliced banana and honey.
Pancakes can be easily made and enjoyed by young and old. Whiz up some batter and experiment with heart-healthy fillings for a satisfying and fun meal at any time of the year.