Double bubble for schoolboys
THERE was a double success for West Ham BC entries at the national schoolboys quarter-finals against Eastern counties opposition at Blackshots Grays on Sunday. Hammer Luke Saunders won on points against Mark Crosby of March ABC. Slick Saunders cut his op
THERE was a double success for West Ham BC entries at the national schoolboys quarter-finals against Eastern counties opposition at Blackshots Grays on Sunday.
Hammer Luke Saunders won on points against Mark Crosby of March ABC. Slick Saunders cut his opponent down and scored with well-timed, accurate punches.
Crosby was forced to take a standing count in the first after a stiff left hand over the top, then another in the last round after a combination with the final bell saving him from any further punishment.
Also winning for the local club, Patrick Ellis took a well-earned decision against Jack Lipton of Billericay.
Classy Ellis countered well, landing with precise clusters to continue his impressive run and book his place in the semi-finals.
Clubmates Joe Tokeley, Tom Beaney, Alfie Price and Simon O'Driscoll all received walkovers to the semi-finals on Saturday, February 21 in Haslemere, Surrey.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 3 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 4 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 5 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after Dagenham Heathway station incident
- 7 One man injured after A13 crash involving car, van and lorry
- 8 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 9 Woman hospitalised after Dagenham garden bonfire gets out of control
- 10 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
*NEWHAM'S teenage boxers are booked this week for the London CYP Youth Championship contests when entries from West Ham, Newham and Peacock clubs are booked for action.
The championships got under way with preliminary contests at the Lion BC on Tuesday.
The semi-finals at York Hall on Saturday (12.30pm start) feature local boxers in the following contests:
Class A under-46kg C Edwards (Newham) v S Ellis (Danson Youth); Class A under-50kg A McDonagh (Fairbairn) v L Desmond (Newham); Class A under-52kg J Henderson (Newham) v C Milner (Lynn); Class A under-52kg H Rogers (West Ham) v R Jackson (Lynn); Class A under-54kg C Smith (Newham) v M Cousins (West Ham); Class A under-60kg A Basi (Fairbairn) v C O'Riordan (Newham); Class B under-54kg J Dishart (Eltham) v J Carter (West Ham).