Drivers flee as petrol pours from pumps
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.
The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.
The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and many drivers had to push their cars to safety.
Motorist Barry Slemmings was filling up at the time. He said: "The tanker driver was brilliant. He instructed everyone to turn their car engines off, which we all did.
"Everyone stayed out of the way, although there were two idiots trying to drive in.
"Everywhere stank of petrol."
- 1 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 5 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after Dagenham Heathway station incident
- 7 One man injured after A13 crash involving car, van and lorry
- 8 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 9 Woman hospitalised after Dagenham garden bonfire gets out of control
- 10 David Adegbite murder: £20,000 reward offered over Barking carpark shooting
It is believed the tanker was been carrying up to 11,000 gallons of fuel when it arrived at the garage, but store manager Matt Arch stressed the delivery had nothing to do with the incident.
He said: "We're waiting for a company to come and identify the problem and how to fix it. We're hoping to be open again as soon as possible."
A crew from Ilford fire station was on standby at the scene in case of any further spillage, and staff were awaiting the arrival of the petrol company's clean-up team.