Drivers flee as petrol pours from pumps
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.
The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.
The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and many drivers had to push their cars to safety.
Motorist Barry Slemmings was filling up at the time. He said: "The tanker driver was brilliant. He instructed everyone to turn their car engines off, which we all did.
You may also want to watch:
"Everyone stayed out of the way, although there were two idiots trying to drive in.
"Everywhere stank of petrol."
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 5 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 8 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 9 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 10 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
It is believed the tanker was been carrying up to 11,000 gallons of fuel when it arrived at the garage, but store manager Matt Arch stressed the delivery had nothing to do with the incident.
He said: "We're waiting for a company to come and identify the problem and how to fix it. We're hoping to be open again as soon as possible."
A crew from Ilford fire station was on standby at the scene in case of any further spillage, and staff were awaiting the arrival of the petrol company's clean-up team.