Drivers flee as petrol pours from pumps
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and
DRIVERS fled a garage forecourt today as petrol started pouring from the pumps.
The spillage happened around 1.30pm at the Tesco garage, High Road, Chadwell Heath, shortly after a tanker arrived to deliver fuel.
The forecourt was evacuated by staff, and many drivers had to push their cars to safety.
Motorist Barry Slemmings was filling up at the time. He said: "The tanker driver was brilliant. He instructed everyone to turn their car engines off, which we all did.
"Everyone stayed out of the way, although there were two idiots trying to drive in.
"Everywhere stank of petrol."
- 1 Dagenham woman forced to pay £1,000 over rotting waste in garden
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Development that could be coming to the borough
- 3 School's new headteacher on wellbeing and helping pupils realise potential
- 4 Ofsted praises progress of Dagenham school after inspection
- 5 Coroner's report outlines concerns with Stephen Port murder investigations
- 6 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 7 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 8 Care provider taken to court by council in waste disposal dispute
- 9 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 10 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
It is believed the tanker was been carrying up to 11,000 gallons of fuel when it arrived at the garage, but store manager Matt Arch stressed the delivery had nothing to do with the incident.
He said: "We're waiting for a company to come and identify the problem and how to fix it. We're hoping to be open again as soon as possible."
A crew from Ilford fire station was on standby at the scene in case of any further spillage, and staff were awaiting the arrival of the petrol company's clean-up team.