Driving home message on life choices
IT S BEEN a violent week in and around Redbridge – reflected in our news coverage. The gang attack in Hainault was, according to residents, a foregone conclusion, as they feared a growing presence on the streets of groups of youngsters would lead to viole
IT'S BEEN a violent week in and around Redbridge - reflected in our news coverage.
The gang attack in Hainault was, according to residents, a foregone conclusion, as they feared a growing presence on the streets of groups of youngsters would lead to violence.
Many point fingers at the police and local authority, accusing them of not acting to quell disorder.
That is not my experience. The police and Redbridge Council are working hard to nip problems in the bud, with young crime prevention groups working hard with "problem" families.
You may also want to watch:
I watched a performance of the anti-knife crime play at Redbridge Drama Centre on Monday and was impressed.
This is a well-thought out attempt to bring home the realities of carrying knives and the students who joined me in seeing the drama took it seriously.
- 1 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 2 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 3 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 4 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 5 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
One of the important messages sent out by the actors is how young people make choices which can change their lives forever.
Teenagers often spout the mantra - if I don't make mistakes how will I learn? But using a knife is one mistake which is likely to shape the rest of their lives.
It is for us, as adults and for those in authority, to continue to drive home messages, which it is to be hoped young people will heed.