Early morning escape for PC
A POLICEMAN had a remarkable escape after surviving a car smash on a 999 call. The Barking and Dagenham constable in his 20s was trapped in the car for an hour after crashing through a garden fence into the front door of a house in Rainham Road North. Som
A POLICEMAN had a remarkable escape after surviving a car smash on a 999 call.
The Barking and Dagenham constable in his 20s was trapped in the car for an hour after crashing through a garden fence into the front door of a house in Rainham Road North.
Some 15 Dagenham firefighters scrambled to cut out the roof of the car, which continued to blare out sirens in the dead of night, with police colleagues at his side.
The PC was eventually rushed to Queen's Hospital with minor leg injuries and allowed to go home two hours later. The Met are probing the crash.
The resident whose house was hit was left in a state of shock, after being woken hours after his cancer-stricken wife returned from hospital. Fixing his council home could cost �2,000.
Neighbour Yvonne Garnham, 62, took a picture of firefighters and police swarming around the marked police car after 2am on Thursday.
- 1 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 2 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 8 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
- 9 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 10 Percentage of unvaccinated hospital staff revealed as mandatory jab deadline looms
The former medic said: "It was like Christmas lights out there with the fire brigade, police and all the lights flashing. I'm glad he's OK."
A police spokeswoman said: "Pending the investigation of the accident there is little that I can add. However, I can confirm that the officer was responding to an emergency call.