�14m academy opens in Barking
A �14million academy that will equip up to 400 teenagers with vocational qualifications is opening in Barking Town Centre this September.
The Technical Skills Academy off East Street will provide courses in catering, hairdressing, IT, construction and engineering.
Academy head, Hilary Moore, said: “This exciting new centre offers a real work training environment, providing an alternative to school, which could be the best option for some of the borough’s 16 to 19 year olds.
“It will provide fantastic career opportunities for local young people, preparing them for work in well-paid skilled trades and professions.”
The academy is a joint venture between Barking and Dagenham College and Barking and Dagenham Council.
Enrolment has begun and courses start on September 10.
For more information call 020 8090 3020 on extension 7269 or 7197, or log on to techskillsacademy.com.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 3 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 8 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 9 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 10 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show