Dagenham schoolboy saves choking classmate’s life
- Credit: All Saints Catholic School
Quick-thinking classmates saved the life of their 12-year-old friend on Wednesday after he began choking on a cough drop.
Harry Maxwell and his fellow All Saints Catholic School pupils — Dressman Adamawa and Prince Tchamgoue, both 12 — were walking to maths class when he reached for a throat lozenge.
Popping one in his mouth, he began coughing and gasping as he fought for air.
“I couldn’t breathe; my airways were blocked,” the Year 8 pupil told the Post, adding: “I just felt really scared because I didn’t know what was going on.”
He spent a nervous 30 seconds struggling for breath, catching the attention of Dressman and Prince.
You may also want to watch:
“He was kind of bent over to the side, really coughing and stuff,” said Prince.
“Me and Dressman, we thought it was a joke.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 8 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 9 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 10 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
Dressman agreed it took him by surprise.
“At first I didn’t think he was choking,” he said.
“Then I went closer, and he started making noises.
“I wasn’t worried as I didn’t think it was that serious. But, after, it got worse. I got scared.”
By this time, Prince said, Harry’s eyes were watering and red.
The pair ran to their friend Ryan Moore, an air cadet with first aid training.
Dropping his bag and coat, Ryan, 13, rushed to Harry’s aid, jolting him twice using the Heimlich manoeuvre and slapping him on the back.
It worked: the sweet was dislodged, sailing “half way across the playground,” according to Harry.
“It went flying out,” said Ryan, who admitted he hardly had time to think before his training kicked in.
“As soon as they told me he was choking, I switched on,” he said, clicking his fingers for emphasis.
“But I didn’t really know it was that deep until I went into maths and he [Harry] told me: ‘Oh, you’ve saved my life’.”
Clare Cantle, headteacher at the Wood Lane, Dagenham school, praised the trio’s actions.
“We are so proud of the maturity and calmness these boys showed under pressure,” she said.
“Well done Ryan.”
And does Harry still suck cough drops?
“I still take them,” he laughed.
“But I’m a lot more careful.”