Actress from Barking and Dagenham College backs campaign for further education funding
- Credit: Victoria Lepper Associates/Andi Osho
An actress, writer, comedian and former student of Barking and Dagenham College (BDC) has got behind a national campaign promoting post-16 colleges.
The Love Our Colleges campaign aims make sure education funding takes colleges into account and that the UK economy has the skills it needs in the future.
Andi Osho has appeared in Eastenders, Holby City and Shazam. In a video supporting the effort, she said about further education: [It's] such a great thing to do.
"It's more than just about the subjects you study, it's about getting an education in terms of life, and it's a really nurturing, safe environment to do that."
Students in the UK often receive less teaching time and support than in other countries. An independent 2016 report to the government on technical education showed underfunding means students in the UK get 8 hours less than their counterparts in Norway.
You may also want to watch:
And between 2010 and 2018, colleges across the UK lost 30 per cent of their government funding.
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 5 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 8 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 9 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed