Award for Dagenham school’s reading scheme
- Credit: Archant
It’s the stuff of fairytales. The future of struggling young readers in the borough has been transformed through a dedicated scheme to bring them up to scratch with their literate peers.
Now Grafton Primary School, which implemented the nationwide Reading Recovering in 2007, has won an award recognising its achievements with Year 1 learner readers.
“The idea is to teach pupils when they’re young so they don’t need intervention later,” explained Louise Harding, one of two Reading Recovery teachers at the Dagenham school.
“The scheme works really well – it normally takes about 20 weeks to get them where they need to be.
“It’s an amazing experience. We are very privileged to be there one to one with the child.”
You may also want to watch:
The programme at the Grafton Road school gives confidence and skills to six-year-olds in the bottom 20 per cent of their classes, through daily half-hour sessions with specially trained teachers.
Year 6 former Reading Recovery student Eva Obadan is now helping younger students fulfil their potential.
- 1 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 2 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 3 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 4 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
- 5 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 6 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 7 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 8 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 9 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
“Recently I was given the chance to read with other struggling readers in Year 1,” she said. “I heard them read and gave them tips.
“I thought it was just amazing, the younger children getting advice from someone who has gone through exactly what they are going through now.”
Grafton Primary School will receive its award at University College London on Friday.
For more information on the programme, visit readingrecovery.co.uk