Award-winning Barking school shortlisted for two major accolades
- Credit: Archant
A Barking school has been confirmed as one of the best in the country, with a nomination for the Times Education Supplement (TES) Secondary School of the Year award.
Eastbury Comprehensive, in Hulse Avenue, has also been shortlisted for the literacy and English award – having already won it last year.
Eastbury is the only London school to feature in two categories, and headteacher David Dickson is over the moon.
“It is wonderful news for the school and borough,” he said. “At Eastbury, our dream is to become one of the best schools in the world and we have now reached another milestone on our journey.
“I am absolutely delighted and thrilled that we received two nominations and I’m enormously proud of all our students and staff.”
You may also want to watch:
The TES says its awards aim to look beyond traditional methods of measuring schools and seek out innovation across the board.
Mr Dickson added: “I would like to thank all the staff for their professionalism, dedication and sheer hard work, which has now been publicly recognised, and all the students who are working hard and have taken up the many additional opportunities in a wide range of sporting and other after-school clubs.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
“Finally, I would like to thank our very supportive families, governors and local authority.”
The winner will be announced at a gala lunch and awards ceremony on Friday, July 4, at the Park Plaza hotel in Westminster Bridge Road, central London.