Award-winning Barking school shortlisted for two major accolades
- Credit: Archant
A Barking school has been confirmed as one of the best in the country, with a nomination for the Times Education Supplement (TES) Secondary School of the Year award.
Eastbury Comprehensive, in Hulse Avenue, has also been shortlisted for the literacy and English award – having already won it last year.
Eastbury is the only London school to feature in two categories, and headteacher David Dickson is over the moon.
“It is wonderful news for the school and borough,” he said. “At Eastbury, our dream is to become one of the best schools in the world and we have now reached another milestone on our journey.
“I am absolutely delighted and thrilled that we received two nominations and I’m enormously proud of all our students and staff.”
You may also want to watch:
The TES says its awards aim to look beyond traditional methods of measuring schools and seek out innovation across the board.
Mr Dickson added: “I would like to thank all the staff for their professionalism, dedication and sheer hard work, which has now been publicly recognised, and all the students who are working hard and have taken up the many additional opportunities in a wide range of sporting and other after-school clubs.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
“Finally, I would like to thank our very supportive families, governors and local authority.”
The winner will be announced at a gala lunch and awards ceremony on Friday, July 4, at the Park Plaza hotel in Westminster Bridge Road, central London.