Award-winning Barking school shortlisted for two major accolades
- Credit: Archant
A Barking school has been confirmed as one of the best in the country, with a nomination for the Times Education Supplement (TES) Secondary School of the Year award.
Eastbury Comprehensive, in Hulse Avenue, has also been shortlisted for the literacy and English award – having already won it last year.
Eastbury is the only London school to feature in two categories, and headteacher David Dickson is over the moon.
“It is wonderful news for the school and borough,” he said. “At Eastbury, our dream is to become one of the best schools in the world and we have now reached another milestone on our journey.
“I am absolutely delighted and thrilled that we received two nominations and I’m enormously proud of all our students and staff.”
The TES says its awards aim to look beyond traditional methods of measuring schools and seek out innovation across the board.
Mr Dickson added: “I would like to thank all the staff for their professionalism, dedication and sheer hard work, which has now been publicly recognised, and all the students who are working hard and have taken up the many additional opportunities in a wide range of sporting and other after-school clubs.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 6 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 7 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
“Finally, I would like to thank our very supportive families, governors and local authority.”
The winner will be announced at a gala lunch and awards ceremony on Friday, July 4, at the Park Plaza hotel in Westminster Bridge Road, central London.