Ballet star donates signed shoes to Dagenham dancer, 10, after reading Post People
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring ballet dancer was given the surprise of his life when he received a pair of signed ballet shoes from one of the world’s leading performers.
In a Post People feature last month, 10-year-old dancer Amaan Rashid, from Dagenham, explained how he was inspired by Steven McCrae, principal dancer with The Royal Ballet.
Steven saw the article, and was so touched by the words he contacted the Post directly, offering to send Amaan a signed pair of shoes identical to the ones he wore in the recent run of Sleeping Beauty.
Amaan was invited to the Post’s office to collect the package on Friday, unaware of the contents.
He said: “I’d like to thank Steven so much because it really means so much. It’s really motivated me to work harder.
“I’m going to put them in the centre of my glass cabinet alongside my other trophies.”
After telling the news to his teachers at Dagenham Park School the next day he was asked to perform in a future assembly, and proud mum Ghazala was equally delighted.
“I was so overwhelmed that Steven would do something so kind like that,” she said. “He’s such an inspiration for Amaan and other young dancers.”
- 1 Dagenham woman forced to pay £1,000 over rotting waste in garden
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Development that could be coming to the borough
- 3 School's new headteacher on wellbeing and helping pupils realise potential
- 4 Ofsted praises progress of Dagenham school after inspection
- 5 Coroner's report outlines concerns with Stephen Port murder investigations
- 6 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 7 Care provider taken to court by council in waste disposal dispute
- 8 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 9 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 10 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
Steven said: “I was really honoured that I had inspired someone from the next generation. It’s great that Amaan has a passion for dance at such a young age.
“He is a great role model for other young boys by showing them how to chase their dreams.”
Amaan, a mid-associate of the Royal Ballet School, recently shared the stage with Steven in Sleeping Beauty, playing a fairy page, a mandolin boy and a monkey in 10 of the 20 performances.
Steven also had these words for Amaan: “The dance world has transformed my life, but it hasn’t come easy as you have to dedicate your life to it.
“However, the freedom that you feel now when you’re dancing is something I still feel today when I step on stage.
“This feeling is why I still dance today and I hope you will get to experience this in the future.”