Barking Abbey is one of the top state schools for sport
- Credit: Archant
Barking Abbey School has beaten off more than 3,000 others to be named among the best state schools for sport in the country.
The coeducational secondary school in Sandringham Road, Barking, was given the award for its special all-round sporting achievements of 2018 in an annual list compiled by School Sport Magazine.
Its success in football, basketball and netball competitions helped it finish fourth and cap another successful all-round year.
“This has been another remarkable year for competitive sport in schools and Barking Abbey deserve their achievement,” said publishing editor Phil Tusler.
“Congratulations to the pupils involved and the work of the school’s sports department especially.”
You may also want to watch:
The list is based on performance in 20 different sports and more than 120 different national competitions.
Reaching the top 30 puts schools in the top one per cent of sporting state schools in the country while the top 100 means reaching the top three pc.
- 1 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 3 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Police chief denies 'systemic' errors
- 10 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham