Barking and Dagenham College recalls ‘magical’ moment takes part in 100m semi-final at Olympic Stadium
A Barking and Dagenham College tutor has recalled the “magical” moment Adam Gemili finished just 0.04 seconds short of a spot in the 100m finals at the Olympic Stadium.
The 18-year-old sports student at the further education college in Dagenham Road bowed out of the fiercely competitive competition in the semi, after clocking 10.06 seconds.
His sports tutor Rachel Yates was in the stadium to cheer him on Saturday.
She said: “We are all so incredibly proud of Adam.
“It was a magical moment to be in the Olympic Stadium and watch Adam run in the heats on Saturday and as he came out on to the track the crowd went wild.
You may also want to watch:
“It was one of the most emotional 10 seconds of my life. Adam has achieved so much in his athletics career in such a short space of time and to be running against some of the fastest men in the world in the semi-finals was an amazing achievement.”
Adam is preparing to take part in a relay race on Friday. Rachel added: “We’ll all be watching and cheering him on and the whole of Barking and Dagenham College wish him the best of luck. Go Adam!”
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 9 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 10 What's on across East London this weekend?
Read more on Adam on the back page of this week’s Post.