Barking and Dagenham College recalls ‘magical’ moment takes part in 100m semi-final at Olympic Stadium
A Barking and Dagenham College tutor has recalled the “magical” moment Adam Gemili finished just 0.04 seconds short of a spot in the 100m finals at the Olympic Stadium.
The 18-year-old sports student at the further education college in Dagenham Road bowed out of the fiercely competitive competition in the semi, after clocking 10.06 seconds.
His sports tutor Rachel Yates was in the stadium to cheer him on Saturday.
She said: “We are all so incredibly proud of Adam.
“It was a magical moment to be in the Olympic Stadium and watch Adam run in the heats on Saturday and as he came out on to the track the crowd went wild.
You may also want to watch:
“It was one of the most emotional 10 seconds of my life. Adam has achieved so much in his athletics career in such a short space of time and to be running against some of the fastest men in the world in the semi-finals was an amazing achievement.”
Adam is preparing to take part in a relay race on Friday. Rachel added: “We’ll all be watching and cheering him on and the whole of Barking and Dagenham College wish him the best of luck. Go Adam!”
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
Read more on Adam on the back page of this week’s Post.