Barking and Dagenham College student ‘highly commended’ for space cake
- Credit: Archant
A Barking and Dagenham College student’s space-themed cake has been ‘highly commended’ in a major competition.
Amy Penfold, 18, from Hornchurch, is studying patisserie and confectionary at the college which has campuses in Barking and Romford.
Amy took on the challenge of entering her first competition at Cake International touted as the world’s biggest cake decoration and sugarcraft show, which takes place at London’s ExCeL.
She received ‘highly commended’ for her space-themed cake coming third overall in the 16-18 category.
Amy said: “Learning a trade like baking takes a lot of time, patience and hard work. I received lots of great feedback about my cakes and I’m very pleased with my results in my first ever competition.”
You may also want to watch:
Baking is Amy’s passion, having started when she was just 10 years old.
Making everything from cakes, cupcakes, meringues and biscuits, Amy has practised hard to hone her skills.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 9 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
In fact she loves baking so much, she even set up her own business called Vanilla Cakes UK last year offering tasty treats for any occasion.