Barking and Dagenham College student ‘highly commended’ for space cake
- Credit: Archant
A Barking and Dagenham College student’s space-themed cake has been ‘highly commended’ in a major competition.
Amy Penfold, 18, from Hornchurch, is studying patisserie and confectionary at the college which has campuses in Barking and Romford.
Amy took on the challenge of entering her first competition at Cake International touted as the world’s biggest cake decoration and sugarcraft show, which takes place at London’s ExCeL.
She received ‘highly commended’ for her space-themed cake coming third overall in the 16-18 category.
Amy said: “Learning a trade like baking takes a lot of time, patience and hard work. I received lots of great feedback about my cakes and I’m very pleased with my results in my first ever competition.”
You may also want to watch:
Baking is Amy’s passion, having started when she was just 10 years old.
Making everything from cakes, cupcakes, meringues and biscuits, Amy has practised hard to hone her skills.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
In fact she loves baking so much, she even set up her own business called Vanilla Cakes UK last year offering tasty treats for any occasion.