Barking and Dagenham College student to compete against Usain Bolt at London Olympics
College student Adam Gemili will race against Usain Bolt at the Olympics after exploding on to the British athletics circuit.
The runner has qualified to compete in the 100m event at the Olympic Stadium after sealing a place with Team GB.
The student from Barking and Dagenham College in Dagenham Road has just passed a BTEC sports diploma with flying colours.
Adam, 18, of Dartford, Kent, said: “I didn’t think the Olympics would be on the cards for me this year so when my name appeared I was jumping for joy.”
College principal Cathy Walsh said: “We are all extremely proud of what Adam has achieved since exploding on to the athletics circuit earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a dedicated and motivated student who has just achieved a distinction in his level three extended diploma in sports and he carries this enthusiasm and determination on to the track.
“We are all behind him 100 per cent and will be looking to support him wherever we can, including any financial assistance and sponsorship he may need to further his athletics career.”
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 3 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 4 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog