Barking and Dagenham College student to compete against Usain Bolt at London Olympics
College student Adam Gemili will race against Usain Bolt at the Olympics after exploding on to the British athletics circuit.
The runner has qualified to compete in the 100m event at the Olympic Stadium after sealing a place with Team GB.
The student from Barking and Dagenham College in Dagenham Road has just passed a BTEC sports diploma with flying colours.
Adam, 18, of Dartford, Kent, said: “I didn’t think the Olympics would be on the cards for me this year so when my name appeared I was jumping for joy.”
College principal Cathy Walsh said: “We are all extremely proud of what Adam has achieved since exploding on to the athletics circuit earlier this year.
“He is a dedicated and motivated student who has just achieved a distinction in his level three extended diploma in sports and he carries this enthusiasm and determination on to the track.
“We are all behind him 100 per cent and will be looking to support him wherever we can, including any financial assistance and sponsorship he may need to further his athletics career.”
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
- 9 McMahon 'really disappointed' to see Dagenham & Redbridge defeated by Stockport
- 10 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy