Barking and Dagenham College student to compete against Usain Bolt at London Olympics
College student Adam Gemili will race against Usain Bolt at the Olympics after exploding on to the British athletics circuit.
The runner has qualified to compete in the 100m event at the Olympic Stadium after sealing a place with Team GB.
The student from Barking and Dagenham College in Dagenham Road has just passed a BTEC sports diploma with flying colours.
Adam, 18, of Dartford, Kent, said: “I didn’t think the Olympics would be on the cards for me this year so when my name appeared I was jumping for joy.”
College principal Cathy Walsh said: “We are all extremely proud of what Adam has achieved since exploding on to the athletics circuit earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a dedicated and motivated student who has just achieved a distinction in his level three extended diploma in sports and he carries this enthusiasm and determination on to the track.
“We are all behind him 100 per cent and will be looking to support him wherever we can, including any financial assistance and sponsorship he may need to further his athletics career.”
- 1 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 2 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 5 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 6 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 7 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking