Barking and Dagenham college tutor and students are ready for Olympic roles
�A performing arts tutor at Barking and Dagenham College and 33 of his students have been chosen to take on key roles at the Olympic Games this summer.
Mark Civil beat 800 applicants to be selected as one of the London Victory Ceremony venue producers. They arrange the gold, silver and bronze medal presentations.
He will also be chaperoning the large group of students from the college’s performing arts and technical theatre school who have been selected to perform in the opening ceremony.
The students have been rehearsing hard for the �27 million ceremony which will take on a Shakespeare-inspired theme to celebrate British culture.
Mark, who will be working in a team that will organise medal ceremonies at three of the London 2012 venues, said: “I took on the role so I could be at the heart of the London Games. It is really nice to know that I am helping to present Olympic medals to athletes who have been working most of their life to achieve at this high standard.”
You may also want to watch:
The budding dancers are working with Oscar-winning film director Danny Boyle of Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting fame, who is directing the opening ceremony.
Student Thomas Kirby said: “So far we have been rehearsing a dance once a week for two months. It has been a great team-building exercise.”
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 3 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside