Barking and Dagenham handball team pick up gold at youth games
Girls from a Barking and Dagenham handball team triumphed at a London-wide sporting event.
The team, from Barking Abbey Secondary School, beat Hackney, Richmond and Southwark to win gold at a London Youth Games tournament at the National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace, south London.
Ismael Arrate, who coached the girls, praised his players.
He said: “They worked really well as a team. They listened and managed to get great success.
“They had very good teamwork and cohesion and everybody got along and worked well together.”
You may also want to watch:
The girls’ tournament impressed watching Great Britain player Louise Jukes, who said: “The London Youth Games is a properly-run tournament so it’s nice for them to win medals and be able to have everyone watching and encouraging.”
The London Youth Games in an on-going multi-sport event for youngsters aged seven to 18.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL