Barking and Dagenham lollipop patrols to return in September but future remains uncertain
PUBLISHED: 17:00 29 July 2016
Lollipop patrols will continue into the next school year – but the future of the service remains uncertain.
On Monday, Barking and Dagenham Council confirmed that the 25 patrols at schools across the borough will return in September.
Patrollers and parents campaigned in March to continue the £165,000 a year service, after being told it would be axed due to funding cuts.
The council is continuing to seek out businesses to fund the service.
A council spokesman has urged “community-minded businesses” to sponsor a patrol.
He said no final decision would be made until all funding options were exhausted and patrols would return in September. He could not confirm how long they would remain in place.
Mum-of-two Lisa Sands, 29, says she is concerned for her children’s safety outside Southwood Primary School in Dagenham.
The Windsor Road resident thinks safety would be compromised without their lollipop lady.
“I think without the lollipop lady then it’s quite worrying for your children,” she said.
“If they can get businesses to cover it that’s great, but the service needs to happen no matter what.”
So far, only one of the 25 patrols has found sponsorship, Five Elms Primary School in Dagenham, from TEB Builders of Hornchurch.
Director Jamie Furness said the company felt it was important that they did their bit.
“We did this for children’s safety,” he said. “They save people’s lives and you can’t put a price on that.
“We work in the borough and find it important to play our part.”
Addressing other businesses, he added: “I would say to get involved and dig deep in your pockets. Donate to fund lollipop patrols so that your children stay safe.”
Could your business sponsor a patrol? Call 0208 227 5798 for the business Support team or email email@example.com.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.