Youth forum tours the Houses of Parliament with MP for Dagenham and Rainham
- Credit: Archant
Children from Barking and Dagenham were given a tour of the Houses of Parliament.
Members of the Barking and Dageham Youth Forum were hosted by MP for Dagenham and Rainham, Jon Cruddas, and paid a visit by Barking’s MP, Margaret Hodge.
They were also given a tour of the house and learnt about the building’s history and monarchs.
They had a lesson on the importance of democracy and the difference between the House of Lords and Commons.
Cabinet member for education, councillor Evelyn Carpenter, said: “These trips are important for young people as they learn how politics works and how every decision affects all our daily lives.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased that the BAD Youth Forum experience politics in practice at such a young age. Many congratulations to all of the young people for taking up this opportunity.”
The trip, which takes place every year, gives young people a chance to challenge their MPs. This year they raised the issues of homelessness, stop and search and a reduction in police numbers.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault