Youth forum tours the Houses of Parliament with MP for Dagenham and Rainham
- Credit: Archant
Children from Barking and Dagenham were given a tour of the Houses of Parliament.
Members of the Barking and Dageham Youth Forum were hosted by MP for Dagenham and Rainham, Jon Cruddas, and paid a visit by Barking’s MP, Margaret Hodge.
They were also given a tour of the house and learnt about the building’s history and monarchs.
They had a lesson on the importance of democracy and the difference between the House of Lords and Commons.
Cabinet member for education, councillor Evelyn Carpenter, said: “These trips are important for young people as they learn how politics works and how every decision affects all our daily lives.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased that the BAD Youth Forum experience politics in practice at such a young age. Many congratulations to all of the young people for taking up this opportunity.”
The trip, which takes place every year, gives young people a chance to challenge their MPs. This year they raised the issues of homelessness, stop and search and a reduction in police numbers.
- 1 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 2 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 7 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 8 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 9 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation