Barking pupils off school after gas leak is discovered in store room
More than 500 pupils were given the day off after a gas leak at their school.
The caretaker detected the leak at Eastbury Primary in Dawson Avenue, Barking, after 5am on Monday.
School staff used Facebook to advise parents the 640-place primary would be closed that day.
Engineers were called in and the school reopened this morning.
Barking and Dagenham Council said the gas escape came from an “intake room” which has equipment such as boilers, but stressed the school’s gas systems were in good working order.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said Eastbury had been closed “as a precaution” and added: “The supply to the kitchen has been restored and the school will now be open as usual.”
- 1 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 2 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 3 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 4 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
- 5 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 6 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham