Barking pupils to set off for three-day space conference in Brussels
A group of primary school children will be setting off to Brussels to visit the European Space centre for a three-day conference during which they will meet astronauts and enjoy a variety of space-themed activities.
The seven Year 5 pupils from Northbury School in Barking will be among 150 children from across the world who were picked to take part in a three-day conference. They will leave for Brussels, accompanied by school staff and some parents, on June 17.
The trip is part of the children’s work on a science/PE programme of work called ‘Mission X-Train like an astronaut’, through which they have already met astronauts Tim Peake and Commander Chris Hadfield and been to see the Qinetiq Centrifuge Facility in Farnborough.
Kulvinder Johal, assistant head teacher at the school, said: “We received an invitation to the closing event for the Mission x programme as we have been one of the leading primary schools from England in this programme. Our pupils will be sharing their Mission X experiences with each other.
They will also meet astronauts and astronaut trainers. They are looking forward to experiencing the training stimulators for astronauts and simulating a space shuttle mission. They will also build and launch a rocket
You may also want to watch:
“We understand that there will be some representatives from NASA there and we are hoping to do a skype link with NASA and some astronauts from around the world.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 9 Comedian: 'Jeff's in space and I'm stuck in traffic at Gallows Corner'
- 10 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted