Barking student scheme praised at Lahore conference
- Credit: Archant
A scheme which gives Barking students a voice was held up as an example during a British Council conference in Pakistan.
Kala Boller, student communication manager of Jo Richardson Community School, was invited to discuss how 250 young people in the school are involved in action groups during the Connecting Classrooms conference in Lahore last month.
She said the trip was inspirational and she was touched by the resistance many young girls faced in trying to gain access to the education system after meeting a principal whose female students had to travel to school with an armed guard each day.
Kala, who was collected from Islamabad airport by an armoured car due to continuing trouble in the northern states, said: “There is no doubt that Pakistan is striving to provide an education system for every one of its young people: one that will be the bedrock for reducing poverty and enhancing social development.
“I was moved and inspired by the determination and dedication of a large number of head teachers, principals and teachers who had come together to forge the way ahead for equality and democracy for this beautiful, emerging country.”
You may also want to watch:
During her visit, Kala met Rana Mashood Ahmad Khan, Pakistan’s Minister of Education, Youth affairs and tourism.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall