Barking teacher appears on primetime national TV for awards
A BARKING teacher has been hailed the best in Britain after scooping a prestigious Pride of Britain award.
Rachel Dixon, who joined Ripple Primary School in Barking eight years ago, appeared on primetime television last night after she was named Teacher of the Year 2010 in the Daily Mirror awards.
The 37-year-old has transformed exam results at the school, staged musicals and formed an award-winning samba band – Escola de Samba.
The band, which performed at the Royal Albert Hall last October, played at the celebrity-packed ceremony on Monday as she picked up her gong.
Rachel, who lives in Hornchurch, was told she had won the coveted prize last month:
“I was rehearsing when I noticed the kids weren’t paying any attention to me. I looked around and hip hop group N-Dubz were there.
They presented me with the award, which came as a complete shock.”
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 8 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
Rachel says she “loves” her job and couldn’t imagine doing anything else. “The children are such massive personalities and the staff I work with are wonderful. I hope to stay at Ripple for years to come.”
Headteacher, Roger Mitchell said: “She is truly outstanding in the classroom.
“I can’t think of anyone more deserving.”
As the school’s literacy co-ordinator, she has almost doubled SAT results in English, from 43 per cent in 2003 to 82 per cent in 2008.
Cllr Rocky Gill Cabinet Member for Education and Children said : “Rachel Dixon is one of Barking and Dagenham’s finest teachers and we are delighted that the children at Ripple School benefit from her expertise and commitment. We are extremely proud of her achievements and she really deserves this award.”
The ceremony - held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London - saw Rachel rub shoulders with Russell Brand while she sat on a table with members of the EastEnders cast.
The awards will be screened on Wednesday) at 8pm on ITV1.