Barking and Dagenham College students take top spots in round one of technical skills contest
- Credit: BDC
Three IT students from Barking and Dagenham College have cleaned up in the first round of a competition to test their skills.
They won first, second and third place in a preliminary stage of the WorldSkills UK Competition 2019.
The top spot went to 17 year old Alexsandru Stancu from Romford. Classmate Shahin Kotarja, 18, from Upney, came in second and Josiah James, 16, from Rainham, took third.
"I am very proud of all the learners. Well done to all of them," said their tutor Alfie Zekaj.
Barking and Dagenham College's trio took part in the first heat of the IT Technician Support WorldSkills 2019 Competition, facing off against Bedford College.
You may also want to watch:
Part funded by the Department for Education, the contest is designed by industry experts.
Its goal is to give students and apprentices the skills needed to help the UK compete globally.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 8 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
Thousands of students take part in these rounds to get a shot at the finals. The forty-fifth WorldSkills Competition will be held in Kazan, Russia, in August.