Barking and Dagenham College students take top spots in round one of technical skills contest
- Credit: BDC
Three IT students from Barking and Dagenham College have cleaned up in the first round of a competition to test their skills.
They won first, second and third place in a preliminary stage of the WorldSkills UK Competition 2019.
The top spot went to 17 year old Alexsandru Stancu from Romford. Classmate Shahin Kotarja, 18, from Upney, came in second and Josiah James, 16, from Rainham, took third.
"I am very proud of all the learners. Well done to all of them," said their tutor Alfie Zekaj.
Barking and Dagenham College's trio took part in the first heat of the IT Technician Support WorldSkills 2019 Competition, facing off against Bedford College.
Part funded by the Department for Education, the contest is designed by industry experts.
Its goal is to give students and apprentices the skills needed to help the UK compete globally.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 3 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 4 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 6 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 7 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 8 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 10 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
Thousands of students take part in these rounds to get a shot at the finals. The forty-fifth WorldSkills Competition will be held in Kazan, Russia, in August.