Boxing champion helps Barking & Dagenham students
- Credit: Archant
Lightweight boxing champ Kevin Mitchell took time some time out from training to spot new talent among Barking & Dagenham College students.
The British super-featherweight title and Commonwealth belt winner visited the Rush Green Road college to give some hints and tips as part of the students course, where they are learning the principles of boxing training.
Kevin Mitchell said: “It was great to be able to visit Barking & Dagenham College and meet all the students.
“They were really interested in finding out about boxing and we were able to go through a few key techniques which will help them in their studies.”
The WBC silver lightweight title holder spotted a talent in 18-year-old student Aiden Morgan, who is set to join the Army in September.
Aiden said: “It was an honour to have someone of his calibre coming in to teach us.
“I’m now thinking about going to the same gym in Dagenham as Kevin to do some boxing training.”
- 1 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 6 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 7 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 10 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
The college is hoping they can get Kevin back in the future to see if he might be able to work with the students in a regular series of classes.