Boxing champion helps Barking & Dagenham students
- Credit: Archant
Lightweight boxing champ Kevin Mitchell took time some time out from training to spot new talent among Barking & Dagenham College students.
The British super-featherweight title and Commonwealth belt winner visited the Rush Green Road college to give some hints and tips as part of the students course, where they are learning the principles of boxing training.
Kevin Mitchell said: “It was great to be able to visit Barking & Dagenham College and meet all the students.
“They were really interested in finding out about boxing and we were able to go through a few key techniques which will help them in their studies.”
The WBC silver lightweight title holder spotted a talent in 18-year-old student Aiden Morgan, who is set to join the Army in September.
You may also want to watch:
Aiden said: “It was an honour to have someone of his calibre coming in to teach us.
“I’m now thinking about going to the same gym in Dagenham as Kevin to do some boxing training.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
The college is hoping they can get Kevin back in the future to see if he might be able to work with the students in a regular series of classes.