Budding young Paralympians make it to final of East London competition
- Credit: Archant
Talented young athletes have stormed through to the final of a sporting competition for budding Paralympians.
The team from Barking and Dagenham, assembled from five schools across the borough, saw off stiff competition from nearby rivals Havering and Hackney to make it to the East London Final of the London Panathlon Challenge.
Pupils from Trinity, Eastbrook, Barking Abbey, All Saints and Robert Clack schools took on 102 other young disabled competitors from 14 schools at the event at Robert Clack School on Monday, March 4.
Team co-ordinator for Barking and Dagenham, Yvonne O’Keefe, said: “It gives many of our students their first chance to win in a sporting event, and gives them the drive to want more success in a competition.
“It is also incredibly important to our young leaders as it gives them a fantastic opportunity to work with children with special needs, who they wouldn’t usually come in to contact with.”
You may also want to watch:
Barking and dagenham will face the London Boroughs of Newham, Greenwhich and Bexley at the final in East Ham on March 26. The borough won the London-wide final of the competition three years ago.
Teams play sports such as boccia — in which Team GB won gold at Beijing 2008 — kurling, polybat, athletics and football.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 5 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 6 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 7 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils