Chadwell Heath dancer lands leading part in Les Mis
A young rising star is to play Cosette or another leading role in the smash-hit musical Les Miserables in the West End this autumn.
Elise Blake, eight, is to start a six-month run at Queen’s Theatre in Piccadilly Circus in September, either as the young girl who comes to epitomise the French revolt or as Gavroche’s sister Eponine.
The Chadwell Heath dancer currently plays Ripp, a Munchkin in the Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium in Oxford Circus.
Elise began to take dance lessons aged three and is through to the finals of the British Theatre Dance Association All England Championships set to take place in Leicester in November.
She has also been recalled to play the main part of Matilda in the West End musical at Cambridge Theatre in Covent Garden next spring.
You may also want to watch:
Her mum Lauren, 28, of Eastern Avenue West, Chadwell Heath, said: “She doing very well. She has just auditioned for Matilda.
“She has been recalled. That’s what she wants - The Matilda part.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
“I think it’s a fantastic achievement. She works really hard and she loves it.”
Elise attends Rise Park Junior School in Romford and studies performing arts at the Emery Stage School in Rainham.
Rehearsals for her run in Les Mis start in September.
Her mum has been told she was set to play Eponine or Cosette, perhaps both, in the West End production twice a week for six months.
She said: “There will be occasions when she has to cover both. We won’t know for definite until the rehearsals in September.”
She landed her first big part in a touring production of the Sound of Music as Gretl von Trapp two years ago.
To book Wizard of Oz or Les Mis tickets log on to wizardofozthemusical.com and lesmis.com/home_uk.php