Children’s author mobbed by young fans at Dagenham school
A popular children’s author and former children’s laureate was mobbed by young fans as he dropped in at a Dagenham school to support reading for pleasure week.
Michael Rosen performed his poetry to some 500 excited fans, from ages four to eleven, at Parsloes Primary School in Spurling Road.
“We would never expect the kids to be this into an author,” said assistant headteacher Hayley Durrant. “The reception he got was as if he was a popstar or David Beckham!”
The writer also signed copies of his books such as We’re Going On A Bear Hunt and You’re Thinking About Doughnuts, which the children had brought in especially.
Ms Durrant said it was as if Father Christmas was handing out presents, adding: “They were queuing around the playground.”
You may also want to watch:
The visit, on Wednesday October 24, was part of the school’s Michael Rosen week, during which pupils studied some of his works as part of the wider reading For pleasure campaign.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 7 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters