Children’s Centre celebrates after ‘outstanding’ report
A “FRIENDLY and vibrant” children’s centre in Barking has become the first in London to be judged “outstanding” by Ofsted.
Inspectors praised Abbey Children’s Centre in North Street for its support for families and young children, and described the atmosphere there as “warm, welcoming and calm”.
They judged it as outstanding overall, and gave 23 out of the 25 inspection categories an “outstanding” rating and two were “good”.
A report said the needs of each individual child and their family are of the highest importance to the staff, and the centre is highly regarded.
Inspectors also found that children really enjoyed learning and were ahead of other children when it came to listening, understanding, use of language and social skills.
You may also want to watch:
One comment included in the report said: “I have never been part of a children’s centre as friendly, welcoming, vibrant and exciting as Abbey.”
Cllr Rocky Gill, Cabinet Member for Education and Children, said he was delighted by the assessment:
- 1 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets ready to mark St George's Day
- 4 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 5 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 6 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 7 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Dagenham boss McMahon keen to build on back-to-back wins
- 10 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
“This is a testament to the hard work and dedication of everyone who has been involved in the centre. I’d also like to thank the parents who contribute and make a difference at Abbey.”
Parent Louise Driscoll said: “The staff at the centre are incredible and go above and beyond to help out. I attend Baby Babble with my son and the course has taught me how to communicate and respond to him.”