Barking and Dagenham College is holding online open days
- Credit: Archant
A further education college has gone online to recruit its next crop of students.
Barking and Dagenham College is holding live, virtual open days to help people find out about courses and careers without leaving their homes.
The virtual open days allow participants to ‘meet’ with teachers and careers advisors live online.
The sessions are open to anyone - school pupils, parents, adult learners, students and people looking to retrain for a different career.
Julie Maling, careers and parental involvement manager at the college said: “We are so pleased to be able to offer this service.
“This is an opportunity for students, parents and those who simply want to explore their career options to do just that.
“They will be able to directly ask our teachers questions, get more information and sign up for courses all from the comfort of your chair.”
- 1 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 2 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 3 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 4 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
Natalie Copsey, 34, is looking at doing a working with children course. She is just one of the participants who have already taken part in a virtual open day.
In her online meeting with Julie she was able to discuss the options available to her.
Natalie said: “I am pleased that I was able to get advice remotely. It has helped me to decide what course I need to apply for.”
The college is holding a whole host of virtual events over the coming weeks to cover an array of subject areas.
These include subjects such as business and finance, health and social care, IT, 3D design, engineering, photography, construction design management, science and plumbing.
It is also an opportunity for participants to find out about the college’s new East London Institute of Technology and the courses being offered.
For each event, participants are invited to join in with an interactive Zoom meeting so that they can speak with the tutors and have their questions answered.
Every attendee will have their questions answered. If time runs out during the session, a member of staff from the college will contact them to arrange a one-to-one virtual chat to answer their queries.
To take part, participants just simply need to register on the College’s website bdc.ac.uk
The college offers higher level technical and professional training from entry to level seven preparing people for work or university.