Councillor meets budding engineers during college visit
- Credit: Archant
A councillor has met with aspiring engineers at a Dagenham college.
Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, cabinet member for educational attainment and school improvement, visited the East London University Technical College (Elutec) to take a tour of the facilities and meet pupils and staff.
During her visit, she watched an engineering workshop and a science lesson and spoke to young people about what they were learning at the college.
She was even able to sit in one of the cars used by the college’s Greenpower racing team - a national competition which sees students build and race their own cars.
An Elutec spokeswoman said: “We were delighted that she came to visit and show her support.”
The college, in Yew Tree Avenue, opened in 2014 and specialises in teaching science, technology, engineering and maths 14 to 19-year-olds.
- 1 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 2 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 8 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Dagenham landlord fined for unlawful eviction after secretly changing locks