Coventry University in Dagenham offers £95k funding for students from poor backgrounds
- Credit: Archant
The Coventry University campus in Dagenham is giving £95,000 in scholarship and bursaries to make higher education more accessible for people in Barking and Dagenham.
CU London, in the Civic Centre in Rainham Road, will see the money awarded through six initiatives over the summer, which are part of a commitment to help people in the borough overcome social and economic barriers to reach university.
Leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, Darren Rodwell, said: “CU London has not only brought in high quality, low-cost education which a number of our residents are already a part of, it is also providing jobs for local people and a focus for members of the community.
“This is a welcome announcement and further example of the role CU London is playing in helping to fulfil the aspirations of our residents.”
The CU London Open Bursary Fund lets people apply for course fees to be subsidised, if they’re not attending school or college, but have the entry qualifications to do so.
You may also want to watch:
The CU London Club will offer tutoring to Year 12 and 13 students in English and Maths. There’ll be a £10,000 donation to the Colin Pond Trust Fund, which gives money to the borough’s schools, and £9,000 will be put aside for additional IT sessions.
There are two award schemes for teachers and students, where participating schools nominate teachers or pupils to be rewarded for closing the attainment gap, with £20,000 set aside for resources.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 3 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 4 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog