Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas visits pupils getting taste of university life
- Credit: Brilliant Club
Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas visited pupils at Robert Clack to discuss a scheme preparing children from under-represented backgrounds for top UK universities.
The Labour MP heard about pupils’ progress in the Scholars Programme, which delivers higher education-style tutorials to small groups of pupils.
“I was very impressed at how they engaged with such a complex and challenging academic topic,” Mr Cruddas said.
“It just goes to show what young people from Dagenham and Rainham can achieve if we give them the opportunity.”
The scheme places PhD researchers in state schools to speak about their own research.
You may also want to watch:
Friday’s meeting featured a course on what animals can teach about the human brain, and King’s College London tutor Robert Ellingford’s talk on the Tudors.
Deputy head Richard Spandi said he was “excited” to see how the pupils’ participation “inspires their study and university choices.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 10 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside