Dagenham pupils win £1,000 for children’s centre
- Credit: Archant
A team of pupils have won £1,000 to buy toys for a children’s centre.
All Saints Catholic School students Sofia Delos Santos, Chloe McAlernon, Cuthelia Lewis, Doyin Oladapo and Toluwani Seidu beat more than 180 Year 10 students to win the competition.
Run by student-led programme First Give, the contest encouraged students to identify local social issues and engage with charities addressing them.
The group gave a presentation on Wednesday last week to explain how the money will be used to provide sensory toys at True Stars Children’s Centre in Chigwell, run by the charity Spurgeons.
They said: “We chose Spurgeons because we were inspired by what they do for the community therefore we were motivated to win the £1,000 to help Spurgeons continue the work they do.”
You may also want to watch:
The judging panel, which included Cllr Lee Waker and cabinet member for education Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, picked the group for their knowledge of the charity.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets