Dagenham pupils win £1,000 for children’s centre
- Credit: Archant
A team of pupils have won £1,000 to buy toys for a children’s centre.
All Saints Catholic School students Sofia Delos Santos, Chloe McAlernon, Cuthelia Lewis, Doyin Oladapo and Toluwani Seidu beat more than 180 Year 10 students to win the competition.
Run by student-led programme First Give, the contest encouraged students to identify local social issues and engage with charities addressing them.
The group gave a presentation on Wednesday last week to explain how the money will be used to provide sensory toys at True Stars Children’s Centre in Chigwell, run by the charity Spurgeons.
They said: “We chose Spurgeons because we were inspired by what they do for the community therefore we were motivated to win the £1,000 to help Spurgeons continue the work they do.”
You may also want to watch:
The judging panel, which included Cllr Lee Waker and cabinet member for education Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, picked the group for their knowledge of the charity.
- 1 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 2 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 5 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Dog attack hero and diving suit fundraiser in running for awards
- 8 Letter on teachers searching pupils for weapons
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking