Dagenham pupils win £1,000 for children’s centre
- Credit: Archant
A team of pupils have won £1,000 to buy toys for a children’s centre.
All Saints Catholic School students Sofia Delos Santos, Chloe McAlernon, Cuthelia Lewis, Doyin Oladapo and Toluwani Seidu beat more than 180 Year 10 students to win the competition.
Run by student-led programme First Give, the contest encouraged students to identify local social issues and engage with charities addressing them.
The group gave a presentation on Wednesday last week to explain how the money will be used to provide sensory toys at True Stars Children’s Centre in Chigwell, run by the charity Spurgeons.
They said: “We chose Spurgeons because we were inspired by what they do for the community therefore we were motivated to win the £1,000 to help Spurgeons continue the work they do.”
You may also want to watch:
The judging panel, which included Cllr Lee Waker and cabinet member for education Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, picked the group for their knowledge of the charity.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 9 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils