Dagenham school holds Great British (Exercise) Bike Off
- Credit: Sydney Russell School
Pupils at Sydney Russell School put the pedal to the metal in a race to win their coveted House Cup.
Teams representing each of the Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham secondary school’s five houses cycled for four and a half hours on Tuesday for the second annual Bikeathon.
Staff and students took turns on exercise bikes provided by a local gym, amid cheering pupils and adrenaline-pumping music.
“It was a great event that got the whole school buzzing,” said principal Janis Davis.
When the final whistle sounded at 3.30pm, officials found team Centaur had gone the distance and covered the most miles.
You may also want to watch:
They picked up the precious prize of 100 points towards this year’s House Cup.
“This was an amazing victory for engagement and physical activity here at the school,” said Phoebe Darwin, the school’s enrichment programme coordinator.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people