Dagenham students star in Gok Wan style TV show
Students from a secondary school in Dagenham are starring in a three part series with fashion consultant and presenter Gok Wan.
Ten pupils from All Saints Catholic School appeared on Gok’s Teens: The Naked Truth which airs tomorrow night on Channel 4. The series aims to tackle issues that teenagers face such as lack of body confidence, bullying and sexuality.
Gok’s Body Confidence movement, which began last year, will also feature in the series and is now available to download as a Body Confidence lesson plan. It encourages students to talk openly and improve their self esteem through simple exercises and role play in the classroom.
In the third episode of the series, the All Saints students attend the country’s largest body confidence lesson. Joining them will be MPs and representatives from various charities such as Body Gossip, Anti Depression Alliance and Y Touring.
Speaking about the lesson, 14-year-old Katie Graves said: “It is good to know that even if you may not feel that you are perfect, someone else will; we should have confidence in ourselves no matter what we look like.”
You may also want to watch:
Drew Fisher, 14 said: “Body confidence should be in schools to develop our confidence and help us to be comfortable with who we are and what we look like.”
Clara Penfold, 14 said: “My self confidence was five out of ten at the start but now it is at least eight out of ten.”
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears