Education grant for Barking and Dagenham Council cut by more than £3m
- Credit: Archant
The Student View is a charity that teaches young people from The Warren School and Dagenham Park CoE School how to spot misinformation and write real news stories about Barking and Dagenham to encourage them to engage with their communities. This is one of their stories. By Natasha and Allannah
Schools’ educational support budget has been slashed by £3.2million in Barking and Dagenham since 2017.
The educational services grant, that is allocated based on a set fee per pupil, is used for statutory duties that academies must provide, such as behaviour support, school improvement and assessment management.
The council’s cabinet member for education, Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, has raised concerns that the grant has been cut from £3.4m in 2017/18 to just £0.6m split over three years.
Cllr Carpenter said: “There has been a drastic reduction in the educational services grant which largely funds the statutory duties of the local authority. This is diminishing even further.
You may also want to watch:
“This is in spite of no decrease in the statutory responsibilities of local authorities.
“I am very concerned about this because this funding is supposed to cover our duties with respect to the quality of education in the area, the safeguarding of children, attendance at school, and school place planning, as examples.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils