Elutec students returning to field gun race
- Credit: PICTURE BY KEITH WOODLAND
Elutec students are hoping to be crowned champion gunrunners.
A 23-person crew from the university technical college has been accepted to take part in the annual Junior Leaders Field Gun Competition at HMS Collingwood.
July’s contest will see teams racing to run, take apart, assemble and fire a cannon in the quickest time.
Students will only have five days of training, spending their time living and working together on a decommissioned warship.
The contest is similar to Royal Navy and Royal Marines events, but for youths aged 16 to 24 who have either recently joined the armed forces or are studying at college.
You may also want to watch:
“Our young people gave their heart and soul in this competition in 2017,” said Janice Tricks, an organiser at Elutec.
The team from Yew Tree Avenue, Dagenham, came fifth out of 18 teams last year, she added.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 8 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal