Elutec students returning to field gun race
- Credit: PICTURE BY KEITH WOODLAND
Elutec students are hoping to be crowned champion gunrunners.
A 23-person crew from the university technical college has been accepted to take part in the annual Junior Leaders Field Gun Competition at HMS Collingwood.
July’s contest will see teams racing to run, take apart, assemble and fire a cannon in the quickest time.
Students will only have five days of training, spending their time living and working together on a decommissioned warship.
The contest is similar to Royal Navy and Royal Marines events, but for youths aged 16 to 24 who have either recently joined the armed forces or are studying at college.
You may also want to watch:
“Our young people gave their heart and soul in this competition in 2017,” said Janice Tricks, an organiser at Elutec.
The team from Yew Tree Avenue, Dagenham, came fifth out of 18 teams last year, she added.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 3 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 4 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 7 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations