Back to school for West Ham players
- Credit: Griffiths Photographers
What’s the most exciting school assembly you’ve had?
For pupils at Gascoigne Primary School, the answer is likely to be when West Ham footballers Felipe Anderson and Angelo Ogbonna paid them a surprise visit.
The Hammers stars visited the school in Gascoigne Road, Barking, as part of the club’s Players’ Project, an initiative which sees members of the squad become ambassadors for an area of community work that they feel is personally important to them.
The pair presented goody bags to each year group’s winner of the Premier League Writing Stars programme, which asked pupils to write a poem on the theme of diversity.
And it was that theme which was discussed during the exciting assembly, with Anderson and Ogbonna both talking to the pupils about diversity and life in England - having grown up in Brazil and Italy respectively.
You may also want to watch:
There was even time for the pair to take a selfie with the pupils, much to the delight of the children and staff.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 3 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder