Former Barking and Dagenham College student wins London-wide award
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two is working her way to becoming a paramedic – and her efforts at college have won her a London-wide award.
Niki Lomas, 28, passed her access to higher education (science) qualification with merits and distinctions at Barking and Dagenham College last year.
She beat more than 180 other students to win the “Highly Commended Learning through OCN (Open College Network)” award, which was presented at the Museum of London as part of Adult Learners’ Week.
She said: “I’m so proud of winning this award and for the grades I achieved on my course. I worked really hard and pushed myself all the way, which shows that hard work really does pay off.
“This award, and being named the colleges ‘learner of the year’, are not only great personal boosts, but also really good additions to my CV.”
You may also want to watch:
She added a special thank-you to the Ocean B ward manager at Queen’s Hospital, Elizabeth Hayes, who gave her work experience at the hospital and put her on the road to becoming a paramedic.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya