Former Barking and Dagenham College student wins London-wide award
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two is working her way to becoming a paramedic – and her efforts at college have won her a London-wide award.
Niki Lomas, 28, passed her access to higher education (science) qualification with merits and distinctions at Barking and Dagenham College last year.
She beat more than 180 other students to win the “Highly Commended Learning through OCN (Open College Network)” award, which was presented at the Museum of London as part of Adult Learners’ Week.
She said: “I’m so proud of winning this award and for the grades I achieved on my course. I worked really hard and pushed myself all the way, which shows that hard work really does pay off.
“This award, and being named the colleges ‘learner of the year’, are not only great personal boosts, but also really good additions to my CV.”
You may also want to watch:
She added a special thank-you to the Ocean B ward manager at Queen’s Hospital, Elizabeth Hayes, who gave her work experience at the hospital and put her on the road to becoming a paramedic.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs