Former Barking College student exhibits at the Tate Modern
- Credit: Archant
A former art student at Barking and Dagenham College has been exhibiting his work at the Tate Modern.
Larry Achiampong’s steady rise to success has seen him take projects around the world including to Berlin, Amsterdam and Ghana.
He began his career studying art and design at Barking College in 2002 and went on to study mixed media art at the University of Westminster and then sculpture at the world-renowned Slade School of Fine Art.
Now 29, his latest exhibition was the culmination of the Tate’s schools workshop programme, for which Larry ran art sessions for young people.
His piece based on the experience, entitled ‘Cloud’ was exhibited in the Tate Modern in June along with a performance piece.
You may also want to watch:
Glenn Holman, Larry’s former tutor commented: “It’s fantastic to see how well a former student of the college has done. To exhibit somewhere as prestigious as the Tate Modern is a great honour and demonstrates the high calibre of Larry’s work. We send our congratulations to Larry on his success and look forward to seeing much more of his work in the future.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils