Free childcare for 1,065 two-year-olds in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
From today, 1,065 two-year-olds from Barking and Dagenham will be eligible for free childcare.
The new rules mean those from the poorest homes will qualify for 15 hours a week with a nursery or childminder without having to pay.
Announced by Nick Clegg today, it is being supported with £500million of government funding into childcare and £100million through local authorities.
The Deputy Prime Minister commented: “These funded places are focused on helping the families that need them most.”
Next year, further funding of £760million will boost the number of children receiving free early years education.
You may also want to watch:
In Barking and Dagenham, the extra funding in 2014 will help an additional 2,300 two-year-olds from families earning less than £16,190 who receive working tax credits.
Sarah Ludlow, Liberal Democrat Member of the European Parliament For London, commented: “This is a welcome announcement for families in Barking and Dagenham.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 7 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
“Early education helps promote a child’s physical, emotional and social development.”
Barking and Dagenham will have one of the highest number of two-year-olds eligible for the scheme across all London boroughs.
Nearby, Newham has 1,210, Redbridge has 828 and Havering has 506 children who can qualify.