George Carey Primary School closes following traffic disruptions caused by blaze at Barking recycling plant
- Credit: Archant
George Carey Primary School Primary is closing for the day after it took some children four hours to get in this morning.
A fire at a recycling plant in River Road has been causing huge traffic disruptions all morning.
The road has been cordoned off, and Transport for London has said that routes EL1, EL2 and EL3 are experiencing heavy delays on River Road, Movers Lane and Thames Road, and that users should expect “bus curtailments” in both directions.
Thames View Infants School has also tweeted, saying parents can collect their children early due to the “chronic congestion”. No after school clubs will be running.
A spokeswoman from George Carey said: “It’s because of lots of traffic in the area, which is causing huge disruption to staff and pupils trying to get in, that we’ve made the decision to close the school.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s for the safety of the children but it’s not because of the fire. Parents are coming in to collect their children and we should be open as normal tomorrow.”
Around 100 firefighters are still tackling the blaze after being called at 6.25am. An exclusion zone has been set up as a precaution.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad