Former Great Britain basketball player visits Dagenham school in fitness drive
- Credit: Archant
Primary pupils in Dagenham were put through their paces by a former international basketball player.
Former Great Britian representative Pierre Henry-Fontaine visited Goresbrook School for a sponsored fitness challenge and talk, which was organised in partnership with Sports for Champions UK.
The organisation sends athletes to schools across the country to educate and motivate children to lead healthy lifestyles, while raising money for the schools and unsponsored UK athletes in the process.
Henry-Fontaine took each class through a circuit challenge, which involved a number of exercises from mountain climbers to jumping lunges.
He then spoke to pupils about how he got into basketball and his journey to becoming professional, the food groups that make up a balanced diet and the importance of eating well and leading healthy lifestyles.
The children also had the chance to ask some of their own questions, ranging from how often Team GB athletes have to train to whether you have to be a certain height to become a basketball player.
Goresbrook School primary principal David Ellison said: "Educating our pupils on the importance of leading a healthy, happy lifestyle and giving them the opportunity to learn from and interact with great role models like Pierre, are all part of what we call an 'education with character' at Goresbrook.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 3 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 7 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 8 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 9 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 10 Councillors visit Ben Kinsella Trust anti-knife crime exhibition
"Our pupils really threw themselves into Pierre's fitness challenge and gave 100 per cent of their focus in his assembly, listening attentively and asking some really engaged questions.
"We look forward to continuing to provide our pupils with these sorts of educational and exciting experiences."