Former Great Britain basketball player visits Dagenham school in fitness drive
- Credit: Archant
Primary pupils in Dagenham were put through their paces by a former international basketball player.
Former Great Britian representative Pierre Henry-Fontaine visited Goresbrook School for a sponsored fitness challenge and talk, which was organised in partnership with Sports for Champions UK.
The organisation sends athletes to schools across the country to educate and motivate children to lead healthy lifestyles, while raising money for the schools and unsponsored UK athletes in the process.
Henry-Fontaine took each class through a circuit challenge, which involved a number of exercises from mountain climbers to jumping lunges.
He then spoke to pupils about how he got into basketball and his journey to becoming professional, the food groups that make up a balanced diet and the importance of eating well and leading healthy lifestyles.
You may also want to watch:
The children also had the chance to ask some of their own questions, ranging from how often Team GB athletes have to train to whether you have to be a certain height to become a basketball player.
Goresbrook School primary principal David Ellison said: "Educating our pupils on the importance of leading a healthy, happy lifestyle and giving them the opportunity to learn from and interact with great role models like Pierre, are all part of what we call an 'education with character' at Goresbrook.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 10 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
"Our pupils really threw themselves into Pierre's fitness challenge and gave 100 per cent of their focus in his assembly, listening attentively and asking some really engaged questions.
"We look forward to continuing to provide our pupils with these sorts of educational and exciting experiences."